Something that our garden is busting with this year is basil. It’s grown so fast that it lifts the fabric cover we have over it (to keep the bugs off). You can only freeze, dry, or pesto so much (yes, I used pesto as a verb) before you’re out of space and patience. I wanted to come up with a sweet way to use the basil, and came up with this drink. Let me tell you, if you want a refreshing drink, look no further! The basil offers such an interesting twist on the typical blueberry smoothie. Using frozen coconut milk instead of ice is another good trick as it keeps the smoothie creamy, not watery.
- 1-1/2 cups So Delicious Coconut Milk, unsweetened, put in ice cube trays and frozen overnight
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 small lemon, ends removed, remainder thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen and thawed, or fresh
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil, loosely packed
- In a medium bowl, place lemon slices, sugar, thawed blueberries, and half the basil. Using a potato masher, or the end of a wooden spoon, mash the mixture together until sugar is partially dissolved. Stir in lemon juice and water. Pour through strainer set over a blender. Add frozen blueberries, remaining basil and frozen coconut milk. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately.