There are many, many, many, many, many (get my point?), many dairy-free cheese sauces out there. So why am I throwing another one out there? The thing about most of the recipes out there is they either have flour, nuts, or tomatoes in them; each something that at least one of my family members is allergic to. There are also sauces with dairy-free cheeses, but those can get pricy, and unhealthy.
So, in short, I wanted to create a recipe that all of my family members can have, and one that is a little more healthy.
- 1-1/2 pounds broccoli florets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (e.g. Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1-1/2 cups So Delicious coconut milk, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together broccoli, olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place on large sheet tray and cook in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until broccoli is tender and florets are lightly browned.
- In a small pan, melt margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour, garlic powder, mustard powder, and chili powder. Cook for 1 minute, until very fragrant. Whisk in coconut milk and whisk constantly until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over cooked broccoli.