Sometimes, especially on weekends, I want to have something to snack on while watching a movie. Microwave popcorn is convenient, but it is hard to pronounce all the ingredients and figure out whether they are dairy-free. And then there’s the whole diacetyl thing that gives me the heebie geebies.
Making your own popcorn really is quite easy, and quite cheap. You can use an air popper, or you can even microwave your own in a paper lunch bag with a little oil. See this recipe here (although I wouldn’t add the salt for this recipe).
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt (kosher doesn't work for this recipe as well because the grains are too big)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pop popcorn in air popper or by your favorite method. Place in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together nutritional yeast, chili powder, pepper, and salt.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of oil evenly over popcorn, then sprinkle with half of nutritional yeast mixture. Stir to combine. Repeat with remaining oil and nutritional yeast mixture. Enjoy!
- I've heard of using cooking spray to coat the popcorn instead of olive oil. This would make for a more even distribution, but again, too many chemicals involved in that. A olive oil spray pump would work very well though if you have one.